Saturday, March 20, 2010

Reader suggestions: Dawn of Victory, The American in Me, '77 Live, The Yearling

You may recall that last week my computer crashed and I had to reformat my hard drive. I lost everything – all my writing, all my music, and most importantly the Excel spreadsheet that contained all of the albums I was planning to review, ordered by artist, year, genre, year/all time ranking, and whether or not it was actually good. All gone. Blech. This week, rather than reliving the nightmare that is spreadsheet making, I thought I'd take some suggestions from people on Facebook. I received tips from friends, co-workers, my wife's cousin, his mom, and even a real, live professional writer. I'll be reviewing three of their suggestions and one album that I just plain like. Sounds like a compromise! Also, in lieu of handing out letter grades, I'm just going to post pictures from Natalie Dee Dot Com.

Photobucket

Rhapsody – Dawn of Victory
Suggested by Christian Petersen

When I asked for suggestions, my wife's cousin Christian was kind enough to suggest this glorious turd of a record. He described it as “Power metal to accompany a D&D tournament.” First of all, there's no such thing as competitive D&D. It's a game of the IMAGINATION! You can't just win a Dungeons and Dragons campaign. Sheeeeeeeesh. You sound like my mom.

Anyhow, for a genre that is supposed to be mean and badass, most of the songs on this album lend themselves quite nicely to fanciful prancing – despite having titles like “Dargor, Shadowlord of the Black Mountain” and “The Bloody Rage of the Titans” and “Triumph for my Magic Steel.”

Yeah it's acclaimed (by one person), but is it good?

Nope! As somebody who once heard the Tori Amos cover of Slayer's “Raining Blood,” I am an expert on metal. I can safely say that this squeedly-meedly-deedle-fest fails to do what all good metal ought to – freak out normals like me. At no point during this album did I want to run for the hills like a bat out of Hell, or enter any kind of sandman. I just kind of wanted to be listening to something good.

Worth listening to for: Un(?)intentional comedy. I can't tell if it was bad on purpose or not.

Overall grade:

www.nataliedee.com

Photobucket

Steve Forbert – The American in Me
Suggested by Zina Petersen

Zina is Christian's mom, and my wife's aunt. Crazy how that works. Anyhow, she suggested Steve Forbert's The American in Me, which, if I didn't know about Zina's politics – left of Howard Zinn – I would assume was an album of Glenn Beck-inspired spoken-word pieces about starting your own independent, cabin-based nation in Plentywood, Montana. Luckily, it's just kinda folky rock-type music.

It seems that Steve Forbert can't decide whether he wants to be John Mellencamp or Bob Dylan, so he stays somewhere in the unsatisfying middle. This was a particularly tough listen for me because while I love Bob Dylan, I really, really hate John Mellencamp. Forbert seems to borrow from Dylan's musical style, simple arrangements, each verse punctuated by a short harmonica solo. Sadly, he channels John Mellencamp's midwestern malaise lyrical style. Each song seems to be about struggling to get by, trying to figure out what you want in your small town, something about being your daddy's son, wheat, little pink houses, two American kids doing the best they can, and so on.

Yeah it's acclaimed (by one person), but is it good?

Tough to say. I didn't particularly care for it because – and feel free to accuse me of being an elitist musical snob, because that's what I am – it was too safe. Very easy to listen to with a few really good songs, but ultimately it feels unrewarding.

Worth listening to for: “Hurts So Good” and “Wild Night.” Wait, I mean “Born Too Late” and “New Working Day.”

Overall grade:

www.nataliedee.com

Photobucket

Les Rallizes Dénudés – '77 Live
Suggested by Blaine Capatch

Blaine Capatch, the only person to suggest an album this week who ever hosted a game show on Comedy Central, sold me on Les Rallizes Dénudés with the following description: “Late-sixties Japanese psychedelic lords of feedback. The bass player hijacked an airliner INTO North Korea. What are you waiting for?” He makes a compelling point.

Finding this album was no easy task. You can't buy any of their stuff on iTunes, they don't have a bin at Amoeba, and the sites from which one could illegally download music – if that was something that people did – provided me with nothing. I finally tracked down a copy about six minutes before I started writing this essay, and I've been listening the whole time. It's screechy.

Yeah it's acclaimed (by one person), but is it good?

I certainly think so, but I feel so far removed from what is actually good music that I can never tell if something is great or if I'm just a pretentious asshole. I read an article today about assholes who like “challenging music” and the weird nerdy superiority complex it breeds. Well guess what – guilty as fucking charged. I love music that dares you to like it. It may sound like incomprehensible screeches to you, but to me it sounds like me being smarter than you. This is especially weird considering how much I hated Ornette Coleman's Free Jazz. I'm a horrible monster and I pray for death.

Worth listening to for: “The Last One” and “Ice Fire.”

Overall grade:

www.nataliedee.com

Photobucket

Piney Gir – The Yearling
Suggested by me

I'm not going to pretend to write an objective review of this album. I'm just going to tell all of you to listen to it. As I'm sure many of the people reading this know, I was contacted by Piney about a month ago asking to help her set up some gigs and maybe shoot a music video when the band comes to Los Angeles at the end of April. I'm also sure that you're all sick of me constantly talking about how great her music is. Do all of us a favor – you, me and Piney – just go download her albums on iTunes. The Yearling is her most recent effort, and it's pretty fantastic.

Yeah it's acclaimed (by me), but is it good?

I'd like to think that I have really good taste, and that everything I enjoy is something that everyone else should enjoy. In most cases I know this isn't true – if it were, everyone would own every Frank Zappa album. In this case, however, I know for a fact that Piney's music is actually, factually, scientifically, mathematically good, and if you don't like it, you're broken on the inside and cannot be fixed. There, I said it.

Worth listening to for: “For the Love of Others” and “Not Your Anything”

Overall grade:

www.nataliedee.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment